Call Toll-Free 24 Hours:

Michigan No-Fault Car Accident Property Damage Claims

Two Drivers Check For Damage After A Car Accident Before Taking

No-fault insurance is required by law in Michigan for people to drive. Because Michigan is a no-fault state, your insurance company will pay for your car repairs if you are involved in a car crash.

However, if you exceed your coverage limits, you may also pursue a mini-tort claim against the other driver and their insurance company. A car accident attorney can help you understand your insurance policy coverage and explore your legal options for getting a settlement for vehicle damage.

How Your Auto Insurance Policy Covers a Property Damage Claim

Your auto insurance policy includes property protection insurance (PPI). However, this coverage is for damage your vehicle causes to other people’s property for up to $1 million. This coverage includes damage to parked cars, houses, buildings, and fences.

Michigan law doesn’t require collision coverage, but a lender might need it before giving you a car loan. Whether benefits are payable under your collision coverage depends on the percentage of your fault in an accident. Michigan law recognizes substantial fault in an accident as more than 50%.

You may have one of the following three collision coverages in your car insurance policy:

Limited Collision Coverage

The insurance company will pay for vehicle damage if you are not 50% and more at fault for the accident. It is your responsibility to pay the deductible if you have chosen a deductible with your limited collision coverage.

If you are at fault for more than 50% of an accident, you will have to pay out of pocket for car repairs.

Broad Collision Coverage

Your car insurance company will waive your deductible if you don’t have substantial responsibility for the accident. When you are liable for more than 50% in an accident, the insurer will not pay benefits unless you pay the deductible.

Standard Collision Coverage

Standard collision coverage will cover damage to your vehicle. However, you will have to pay the deductible, regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

Service Staff Use Smartphone Check Details About Car Repairs Com

Michigan’s Mini Tort Claims

If you do not have collision coverage in your auto insurance policy, you can file a mini-tort claim to pay for vehicle damage repairs. In Michigan, you may sue an at-fault driver for one of the following reasons:

  • Injuries and deaths resulted from the driver’s negligence.
  • A non-resident driving a vehicle unregistered in Michigan collided with your car in the state.
  • The accident occurred in a state where lawsuits are allowed.

The mini-tort law states that drivers 50% or more at fault can be sued for up to $3,000 for their accident and vehicle damage. This law applies even if you have collision coverage. The at-fault driver may be held liable for damages to your vehicle that are not covered by your insurance policy.

For instance, if you have a $100 deductible on your broad collision coverage and you were less than 50% to blame for the accident, you can sue to recover your deductible.

How a Michigan Auto Accident Attorney Can Help with Your Property Damage Claim

A lawyer from Cochran, Kroll, & Associates, P.C. can offer legal guidance if you file a property damage claim. We can help you with the following:

  • Review the details of your case in a free consultation, including the at-fault driver’s insurance policy
  • Determine fault in the accident using the police report, accident scene photos, and witness testimonies
  • Collect receipts and estimates for your vehicle repairs and replacement parts
  • Assess the value of your property damage claim
  • Handle negotiations with the insurance company
  • Represent you in legal proceedings in the event the insurance company refuses to pay your claim

Discuss Your Claim with a Car Accident Attorney

A Michigan car accident attorney from Cochran, Kroll, & Associates, P.C. can protect your rights for vehicle damage compensation. We can file a mini tort claim on your behalf to ensure you obtain compensation from the at-fault driver. Our attorneys can also help you receive your collision coverage benefits from your insurance company.

Our contingency fee basis means we only get paid if we win your case, so there is no financial risk to you to get started. Call our law firm today at 1-866-MICH-LAW and schedule your no-obligation, free case evaluation.


Testimonial Image


There is no obligation for a case evaluation & no fee is charged unless a recovery is made.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Your privacy is important to us. Cochran, Kroll & Associates, P.C. does not share, sell, rent, or trade personally identifiable or confidential information with third parties for any purpose.
Call Now Button