Call Toll-Free 24 Hours:

Letters of Protection in Personal Injury Claims

Legally Reviewed and Edited by: Terry Cochran

If you are injured in an accident caused by another’s negligence, the medical expenses you incur can be staggering. In 2017, the CDC reported a loss of over $75 billion in medical costs and lost productivity for car accident victims.

Although you may have personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, your benefits might not cover your medical treatment. You may seek compensation from the negligent party to pay for medical expenses; however, until their insurance company pays your claim, you may not have the funds to pay for the treatment you need to recover.

To ensure you get appropriate medical care, you can work with an attorney to write a letter of protection (LOP) promising to pay your provider once the case is resolved. A skilled attorney at Cochran, Kroll & Associates, P.C. can help you negotiate with your medical providers and craft a letter of protection, so you get the care you need while waiting on your settlement.

What is a Letter of Protection?

A letter of protection (LOP) is a written agreement between a personal injury accident victim and their medical provider. It states that the patient seeks compensation from a negligent party and expects a settlement or court-awarded damages. The letter promises that upon conclusion of the case, they will pay any outstanding medical expenses out of their compensation.

A LOP ensures you receive all treatment you need to recover from your injuries. By signing the agreement, your physician knows they will be paid for their services and can provide appropriate medical care. An LOP also prevents the medical provider from demanding payment or sending you to collections, which can cause undue stress and damage your creditworthiness.

Protection letters are most necessary when filing a personal injury claim for cases involving serious accidents that meet Michigan’s serious injury threshold. These injuries, such as severe TBIs and spinal cord injuries, can require lengthy hospital stays and life-long medical care.

A skilled attorney with Cochran, Kroll, & Associates, P.C., can help you write an LOP to get the initial treatment you need. They will then work to get you a settlement to cover your current and future accident-related expenses.

How is a Letter of Protection Used in a Personal Injury Claim?

Because personal injury claims can take many months to settle, you will need medical care for your injuries before you have the funds to pay for them. Even if you have health insurance, the treatments, procedures, and extra care you may need often goes beyond what is typically covered.

Insurance coverage for personal injury accidents, like car crashes, varies by state. Michigan is a no-fault state, which means no matter who is at fault for an accident, a person’s auto insurance and PIP protection pay for certain benefits. The state requires personal injury protection (PIP) insurance for all drivers.

PIP coverage pays expenses for:

Rehabilitation services

Recovery care

Replacement services

Wage loss

Funeral expenses

However, PIP only covers up to your policy’s cap, typically between $50,000 and $500,000. An LOP is used in a personal injury claim to help continue necessary medical procedures or treatments over and above PIP medical payments coverage. The letter is a promise to the doctor or medical facility that the payment for services will be provided by the settlement so that you can focus on recovery.


When Might You Need a Letter of Protection?

Not everybody who files a personal injury claim needs a letter of protection. For example, if you have minor injuries covered by PIP or health insurance, you don’t need one.

However, an LOP can allow you to start or continue the necessary medical treatment if you have little or no insurance coverage. Additionally, if you have insurance, your coverage may not include all of your treatment requirements or may affect your finances in other ways.

You might need a letter of protection if:

You do not have no-fault insurance (PIP insurance)

You suffer lost income or lost wages from your injuries and cannot pay upfront for your treatment

You are not getting medical payments from your insurance

Your coverage limits what it will pay toward your medical bills

Do You Need a Lawyer to Obtain a Letter of Protection?

Because a letter of protection is a legal document promising the outcome of a settlement case, the letter must be written by a lawyer actively working on your claim. That also means you need to have an active personal injury claim.

The personal injury attorneys at Cochran, Kroll & Associates, P.C. can help you with your claim and make sure your letter of protection will enable you to receive the medical treatment you deserve. We can negotiate with your healthcare provider to ensure they are satisfied with the repayment terms and will provide high-level care.

Contact Cochran, Kroll & Associates, P.C. Today

Suffering injuries in a car collision, slip-and-fall, or other personal injury accident can leave you with extensive medical costs without an income to pay them. The attorneys at Cochran, Kroll, & Associates, P.C. can work with you to file your personal injury claim, including sending an LOP to your medical providers, so you get the care you need.

We have decades of experience and have won millions in settlements for our personal injury clients. We know what it takes to help you achieve the compensation you deserve.

Our contingency fee basis means we only get paid if we win your case, so there is no financial risk to you to get started. Call our law firm today at and schedule your no-obligation, free case evaluation.

Disclaimer: The information provided is general and not for legal advice. The blogs are not intended to provide legal counsel, and no attorney-client relationship is created nor intended.

Disclaimer : The information provided is general and not for legal advice. The blogs are not intended to provide legal counsel and no attorney-client relationship is created nor intended.

Lynn Mayfield is a writer and has worked in finance and education. Lynn earned her Master's Degree in Education and now writes informative articles for various legal organizations. She enjoys drinking coffee and spending time outdoors.



Testimonial Image


There is no obligation for a case evaluation & no fee is charged unless a recovery is made.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Your privacy is important to us. Cochran, Kroll & Associates, P.C. does not share, sell, rent, or trade personally identifiable or confidential information with third parties for any purpose.
Call Now Button